Monday, July 25, 2011

Last Week of Summer Break

It is hard to believe that summer break is almost over!  I actually have to be at school 2 days this week in my capacity as Instructional Leader.  Officially, teachers return next Tuesday, the 2nd of August.

Mike and I took a couple of short trips this past week.  Both times I took my watercolors with me.  First we went to Flagstaff (Mund's Park) for a couple of days.  I actually went in to town and bought a 7" x 10" watercolor sketchbook that I could practice in.  I have enjoyed working in the sketchbook as I am really creating somewhat quick studies while practicing different techniques.  It frees me up from worrying too much about doing it "right".  I started with this painting of some wildflowers.  When I finished, I picked one of the flowers, pressed it, then taped it on the page.  You can see where I checked my colors on the upper left.  It was really nice to be able to be outside to paint!

Next I painted this container of petunias that Randy and Carol had growing on the steps to their house.  I was using the technique of mixing my colors directly on the paper rather than on the palette.  I had just read about painting this way in a book by Charles Reid.  One thing for sure, the colors end up very strong and bold.  Again, just being outside was a relaxing way to spend the day.  The only problem was that I had a hard time finding scenes outside that I wanted to paint.

Next I chose to paint Mike while he was sleeping on the sofa during an afternoon nap.  I have to admit that I mixed the skin tones on my palette.  When I mix on my palette, I notice a difference in intensity, they are much lighter!  I probably should have at least darkened his shirt, but then this is just practice.

I decided to paint another picture of Mike, this one while he was up and working at his computer.  It wasn't so easy as he kept moving slightly.  In the end, I am pleased with just how much this actually looks like Mike!  I did more color mixing on the paper and achieved the darker tones that really do make the painting stronger.

After a couple of days in the mountains, we came back home to Phoenix for a couple of days and then headed to Southeastern Arizona.  Mike and I had reservations for 2 nights at Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson.  This painting shows the view out our window.  It was a difficult point of view for me to capture, bit I think the essence is there.  It was overcast outside with an even display of clouds.  I could barely see some mountains further off in the distance.  We spent most of Saturday on a day trip where we visited The Thing, just outside of Benson.  We also went through the Amerind Museum near the Cochise Stronghold and then toured the Rotunda and Throne rooms at Karchner Caverns.

When we got back, I ventured out to the pool with my watercolors. I found some girls that I thought were settled in for sun bathing and started to sketch and paint.  The one girl on the right, moved in to the pool, so I painted her twice, but like the way the composition improved by her move to the water.  I decided that black bathing suits are popular, and without black paint, I did my best to mix a substitute.  Again, with the skin tones, I tend to mix in the palette so they end up much softer than say the bathing suits did which were mixed on the paper.  I need to find a happy medium.

Next, I painted a woman who was reading at the edge of the pool while her children swam.  She got up and moved while I was in the act of painting, so I did the best I could.  I wish I would have made the colors darker, more lively.  While the proportions of the figure are fairly accurate, it just lacks a certain oomph.  Again, it was great to be outside to paint.  I enjoyed a beer by the pool as I painted!

Sunday morning I ventured out for a walk, with my watercolors in tow.  I walked up to the waterfall.  It is a natural waterfall, but the resort pumps water to it to maintain a year-round flow.  Along the way, I noticed this little, tiny cactus blooming.  It was pushing its way out in the small area of dirt between the rock wall and the rock steps.  I decided that the cactus was certainly worth painting.  I spent about 30 minutes, sitting on the step and painting.  A passerby said she would never have seen the cactus if I hadn't been painting it.  I wandered around a little bit more before returning to our room so that we could pack up and head back to Phoenix.

Now that I am home, I have decided to try an 11" x 15" painting of the cactus.  I will make the cactus larger and add more detail than what is evident in my practice painting.  I still have a couple other paintings to work on as well.  I know that once school starts and I get more involved in the National Boards, I will have less time for my artwork.  This week demands a final strong push.

No comments:

Post a Comment