Sunday, August 28, 2011

As August comes to an end....

I have reached a moment where many things are paused....I can't do much more with my National Boards until I get further in my teaching, and I only have one painting in progress and it needs drying time.  I am almost at a loss with what to do with my weekend time.
This week, at the Tuesday night life drawing session, I worked with acrylic paint applied to brown paper with a 2"brayer.  This first one shows Roy from behind.  Just before this pose, I did a painting that I didn't like, so I turned the paper over and painted this one next.  I don't usually paint on the front and the back, but really, it doesn't make much difference since these ones on brown paper are just ending up in my closet, rolled up.  I am enjoying the brayer work as it is much looser and organic, almost abstract.  It is pulling me into a new direction.  My friend, Laura, thinks I should come in with another media and fine tune them.  That's what I did when I learned the technique at The New Hampshire Institute of Art.  For now, I will wait and see.  Maybe this weeks paintings will get reworked.

This was my last painting of the evening, it shows Roy laying down.  This was probably my favorite painting of the night.  I am not sure why other than it does capture his expression as well as the weight of the pose.

I have been working on this painting of dad.  I haven't been able to capture his age, it looks like a young version of dad.  The colors aren't quite as bright as they look in this photograph.  The oil paint is wet as I worked on it yesterday, so now I am waiting for it to dry.  Next weekend I want to try and "age" dad, then I can continue on what I want to have happen in the background.



I managed to make 3 small collages this week.  They are each very different from one another and I actually had fun with each one.

The week ahead is filled with meetings, Rainy is coming for a visit, and I still have my Tuesday night drawing session.

Until next weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment