Saturday, October 9, 2010

Oil Painting Collage Process

I have a new collage process that I am working on.  The process goes as follows:

Step 1:  Tear old magazine and book pages into pieces.  Small pieces work best as larger pieces tend to wrinkle, but the wrinkles are okay, they are part of the collage.  Using acrylic matte medium, adhere the pieces of paper in a very random manner, spreading the medium under and on top of the papers.  I use a large brush and my fingers to make this happen.  Because I am working on stretched canvas, I make sure to cover the sides of the canvas with paper as well.  Let the canvas dry overnight and then start sanding.  I begin with a medium sandpaper, then move to a fine, and finish it off with steel wool.  Loose edges of the papers peel off; this is okay as I am just creating a textured background for my painting.  Once I am satisfied with the sanding, I wipe the canvas clean with a damp rag.

Step 2:  At this point, I thin some gesso with water.  Using a damp sponge I apply a layer of this thinned gesso to the entire canvas.  The gesso needs to be transparent enough that it doesn't hide the magazine/book colors or printed text.  What this step does is kind of provide a cohesiveness to the canvas.  Now I am ready to lay out my idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment