Sunday, February 20, 2011

President's Day Weekend

It has been an interesting week.  Again, I wasn't too successful with my artwork a day idea, as I only completed 2 mini collages.  This one is titled "Come With Me" and was made on 2-19-11.  It is 6" x6" and consists of papers, photos, ink, and a plastic golf ball marker on board.  I was being somewhat playful with the entire image.  Do you recognize Mike driving the bug and Rainy in the back seat?
This collage I made on 2-18-11 and it is titled "Speak to Me".  I am not so thrilled with it as the words make everything to obvious.  I used papers and ink on board.  Like all of my mini collages, it is 6" x 6".  I found the face in one of my "W" magazines, a favorite place for female images.  Perhaps it is time for me to return to my collages that have lots of different stuff all over them.
The highlight of my week was another life drawing session.  I went with Joan and Laura on Thursday night to Stu's studio again.  On Thursday nights, the idea is to work back to back poses so that you have 40 minutes on a drawing instead of the usual 20.  Sara was the model, I had drawn her once before.  I decided to work with soft pastels.  Interestingly, people have been commenting that I am a pastelists, but I am not.  I bought pastel papers at Arizona Art Supply earlier in the week and the clerk made that assumption.  Thursday night, Eric made the same statement.  I guess that I like to work with soft pastels when drawing figures, especially during short sessions because you can put the color and the image down rather quickly.  The truth is that I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to working in soft pastels.  Like most media, I am self taught and I haven't taken the time to read up on how a person should work with pastels.  Maybe this is something that I should do!  Anyways, this drawing is titled "Black Pillow with Flowers". It is soft pastel on pastel paper (Duh) and is 20" x 25".  I completed most of the drawing at the session.  This afternoon,  I reworked the background just a little bit but mostly I finished up the 2 pillows that Sara is laying on.  I am very pleased with the way this drawing turned out.  I enjoy focusing in on a part of the figure rather than portraying the entire body.  The detail of the pillows contrasts successfully with the softness of the female form.

No comments:

Post a Comment