Friday, July 23, 2010

Painting; Well, Sort of

The painting "Cactus Flower 1" was almost finished before I went on my awesome roadtrip.  All that was left to be painted was the center potion of the flower and that took me less than 30 minutes.  I am calling this one finished, signed and ready to finish drying.  I like the impressionistic quality of the painting with the only precise detailing evident in the stamens of the flower, and even that is subtle.  The flowing colors in the flower petals draw the viewer's eye into the center of the bloom, creating the focal point. 
I had finished "Looking Inward" before I went on my trip, but I forgot to post a picture of it in my blog at that time, so here it is.  I like the neutral skin colors, it creates a softer pallate and lets the red speak louder.  This self-portrait captures the way I look much more accurately than other ones have.  Even though the skin tones have that essence of impressionism, it is a smoother approach than the technique I subsequently used in the painting of the cactus flower.
I am done painting for the day as I just can't think straight.  I am still feeling low, probably because Rainy left a couple of hours ago.  Actually, I feel somewhat lost and scattered.  I think I will go make some pesto using basil from my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment