Sunday, July 25, 2010

Start Simple

Sunday morning and I was up before 6:00 am; of course Dusty was barking for food and the cats were actively crawling over the bed indicating their hunger as well.  On these days of no school, I like to start simple by creating my artwork of the day.  This collage, "Dreams" was made in the same technique that I used yesterday.  Today I began with an image of the nude woman that I had cut out from an older issue of "W" magazine.  Because of the basic blueness of the image, I first laid down a layer of acrylic paint using Ultramarine Blue dulled with Brilliant Orange and a little bit of Titanium White.  Once dry I added a layer that included Bright Aqua Green that was mixed with the previous colors.  I added a bit more white to lighten it up.  Then I used matte medium to attach the magazine image.  I went over the image with the white tinted with a small amount of the blue and some matte medium to increase the transparency.  Next I found the words "your dreams miss you." in my box of miscellaneous words.  I used matte medium to glue the words at an angle following that of the nude woman.  Once it was attached, I went over the words with white thinned with matte medium.  I used a hand-cut stamp with blue and red ink applied to it for the spirals, then went over the spirals with transparent white, smudging the ink just slightly.  I am very pleased with this piece, the monochromatic blue color scheme gives it a dream-like feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment