Saturday, November 20, 2010

Late Start Saturday

I spent the morning baking a batch of Christmas cookies so I didn't get into my studio until after 1pm.  I haven't been working very long but I have big plans for the day.
I had been working on the portrait of Bryant in my collage book off and on for a few days.  I can't tell you how many times I used turpentine to erase his mouth and portions of his face!  At first his face wasn't long enough so I had to redo most of his face.  I added his sunglasses (cut out from a magazine page) but I had the 2 sides shaped differently so I had to tear them off and redo the glasses.  The second pair I cut out I traced from the first pair, flipping the right side over to make the left side match.  This worked out very well and now the sunglasses seem to work much better.  I also struggled with his nose because the photo I was working from showed his nose at a different angle than what I am accustomed to.  Honestly, I finally gave up trying to fix it and said "this will do".  In the end, the portrait isn't a replica of Bryant but it does capture the basic essence of his image and I am satisfied.

Now I am going to work on the collage painting of Jack the Beagle and then I will move on to the collage painting of Rainy and Raven.

No comments:

Post a Comment