Sunday, January 30, 2011

Back to an Artwork a Day

Last weekend I talked about how I wanted to get back into making a small, 6" x 6" artwork/collage a day.  Well, I forgot all about that claim until Tuesday!  I was at school when I remembered, so I grabbed a couple of old National Geographic magazines and started cutting out a few images that simply struck me as interesting.  When I got home that afternoon, I put together this collage, "Play With Me".  It shows my strong inclination towards circular objects.
I managed to make 4 more collages during this past week, just missing one more day in there.  This one I made on the 27th.  It is titled "It's a Balancing Act".  All of these images came from those older National Geographic magazines.
On Friday I made this collage, "Playful Times".  I tore up some magazine pieces and attached the strips of written words to the board first.  Next came the images and the punched out flower pieces at the bottom.
Yesterday I started with a recycled acrylic painting that I had previously cut into 6" squares.  I looked through my boxes of stuff and put together this collage, "Broken Hearts".  I like to include old music sheets and old stamps whenever possible; they both worked here.  My sister, Janis, said she liked this one, it was her birthday month.
Today I put together "Who's Watching".  It consists of mostly paper on board with 2 small brads attached near the bottom.  I enjoyed working with non-related images that could be pulled in and forced to work together.

As for the rest of my artwork, I did put another coat of gesso on the front and the back of my plywood that I am prepping for a painting.  I also collaged papers into my collage book so that I could do the next page.  I might try to include mom and dad on this page, I just need to decide if it will work for me.  This is something that I should be able to accomplish during the week.  I haven't worked on the portrait of Jetta in weeks, maybe next weekend....
Yesterday I spent the afternoon taking a life drawing class at a gallery on Central & Dunlap, which isn't too far from where I live.  There were only 5 of us there drawing.  The model was great but I don't know how she stayed warm; I was freezing.  I wore a short sleeve shirt and the heater in the building wasn't working.  Between poses, I would step outside to try and warm up.  I didn't create anything that I was particularly thrilled with, I will blame that on the cold!  It was just nice to be drawing from a live model again.  The image to the right shows a series of poses, the first was 5 minute pose, then a 10 minute pose, then a 15 minute pose.  The proportions were off, until the final pose I got it to click a little better.  These were all done in graphite pencil on Bristol board.
The weekend is coming to an end.  My Aunt Dolores is coming over for dinner (brats & salad) and to watch the Suns play on TV.  I did weigh in at Weight Watchers this morning and managed to lose 3.6 pounds this past week.  I will continue tracking what I eat and try to include more exercise this week.
Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment