Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Free Weekend to do Artwork

The title says it is a free weekend, but there really isn't any such thing for a working girl!  I still have laundry to do and groceries to buy and all of those basic things required for living a normal life.  At least I don't have engagements or appointments this weekend!  I have really been trying to follow Weight Watchers, count my points more closely, but last night we had mexican food at De Los Reyes Tortas, a place that serves non-traditional food.  I had the chicken tacos that were served in grilled flour tortilla shells.  Very yummy!  I saved one and had it for lunch today.  Unfortunately, last night I baked some cookies and proceeded to eat about 8 of them (not so wise).  So today I did a 55 minute, 3 mile, hike/run around Lookout Mountain.  It did feel really good.  Now I am in my studio, doing a bit of research and working in my sketchbook.  I am trying to get back to my artwork a day series.  For a few months, I did really well, but it has been a while now, at least until today.
This is a 6" x 6" oil pastel on collaged papers that I just completed.  It is a self-portrait, simply titled "Julie".  I had the papers already collaged and it only took me about 20 minutes working with the pastels.  The idea behind an artwork a day is that I use a small format so that the artwork can be made quickly.  It feels good just to create something.  I will try to stay with it all this week, for starters.
I will get back to my sketchbook and research now but will try to post again this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment