Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Afternoon; Finally Studio Time

I weighed in at weight watchers this morning; I lost 1.8 pounds.  I will work hard again this week at staying on program and getting in the needed exercise!  It is already 1:30 pm, the day seems to be flying by.  I have been to Home Depot and to the grocery store.  Now I am ready to settle in with some artwork.
This morning I did create an artwork for the day!  I had actually started it last night and completed it this morning as I drank my coffee.  The title is "El Principal".  It is 6" x 6" and made from paper, graphite pencil, and found objects on board.  I started with the cowboy hat and worked out from there.  The clock shows how I was influenced by the Joseph Cornell collages that I saw on Friday at The Phoenix Art Museum.  This was a fun collage to make.
I have numerous new ideas just starting to take form in my mind.  I need to do some planning in my sketchbook to try and work out the details.  I did buy a piece of 24" x 24" 3/8" thick plywood while I was at Home Depot.  I will gesso the board today but the rest will have to wait for the plan to solidify.  I have the painting of Jetta to work on today as well as another page in my collage book.  Off to work I go!
I am back, the day is coming to a close and I thought I would write about my accomplishments.  For most of the afternoon I worked on page 14 of my collage book, this image is of Harold Peters, Mike's dad.  This finished artwork really does look like Harold, I managed to capture his features remarkably well.  Using oil pastels, I began with his mouth and worked out from there.  Once I had the basic jest of his face, hair, and undershirt, I moved to the dark blue background.  With the negative space completed I was able to come back and and refine his facial features and his hair.  I duplicated the droop in his eyes and the slight upturn of his mouth.  Of course I was very excited when I decided that Harold's features were complete, I just needed to decide what to do for his shirt.  I knew that I wanted to do more collage work for his shirt.  I looked through my stash of blue papers and didn't really find anything that wowed me.  Next I looked in my box with tissue papers and found that I had the perfect turquoise blue paper that I could work with.  Using matte medium, I roughly collaged the tissue paper in place, crunching it up at times to increase the intensity of the blue.  Once the collaged work was dry, I touched up a few areas of pastel and called it complete.
I did manage to gesso my sheet of plywood as I was waiting for the collaged tissue to dry.  Now I need to start planning that project.  I think it will be based on a self portrait with collaged papers from my past and photos as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment